Saturday, February 25, 2006

Yea Bronze

So the first week of the Olympics I was so wrapped up in Curling it was ridiculous.

Than week 2 hits.

I get ready for Sunday's game, someone tells me the result right before it's about to start.

Then Monday's game. They had already clinched the medal round, so I just kinda watched it on fast forward, took about 10 minutes.

OK, go time. Wednesday, the semi-finals, vs Canada. I'm at work. I TiVo it. Too tired to watch it Wednesday night, I wait for Thursday. Only I stupidly open the sports section Thursday morning only to see, in huge letters, that the Canadians "sweeped the floor" with us, winning 11-5. Ugh.

So I missed three games in a row. Tear. I was able to get myself up earlier enough this morning to watch the bronze medal game before I went to work. Great game. Up one. Tied. Up three. Up four. Up one. Up two. Up one. Up two. Victory. Bronze!

If curling was the "it" sport at the 2002 games, it truly took off this year. Everyone and their mother watched this men's team to the unthinkable, going 7-4 and capturing a medal, beating Great Britain twice to make that possible.

Very excited. Can't wait for 2010. Wasn't exactly the result I was looking for, as watching these guys play 8 or 9 or however many matches it was clear to see they could beat any team on any day if they played their best game. Unfortunately, they didn't always play their best game, so they settled for Bronze. Nothing to complain about, but hopefully in four years they are a little better prepared, because nothing less than Gold will be acceptable.

Thanks for putting up with my curling rants for the last two weeks. Now back to your regularly scheduled thesharkey.com reading material (starting tomorrow)...

1 comment:

edpaffjr said...

They need to put curling on NBC next time around, at least the medal games. I wanted to watch, but we only have the basic cable package. No USA, no CNBC, and no MSNBC. :(