Sunday, October 02, 2005

the sharkey has arrived

Yes, it's true, I am a smart enough man to now have my own website. I can't even begin to imagine how jealous all of you are.

Allow me to let you in on a small secret. This isn't a website. I just bought a domain name and forwarded it to a blog. It's cheating, I know. But really, I'm not that smart, so this is all I'm capable of doing. For now.

Someday this will actually be a website. Complete with a blog, of my own. My own blog. And maybe some other stuff. Pictures, I can handle pictures. And other stuff. No idea what else. But if I think of anything, I'll add that as well.

You're probably now beginning to wonder why someone as boring as myself now has their own website, complete with a blog. It's simple, really. Supply & demand. Everyone else is doing it, and people seem to enjoy them. So now I'm going to do one, and you're going to enjoy it.

That, and in another life I always dreamed I was a sports writer. So maybe I'll write some stuff about sports in here, and live out my fantasy. Well, one of my fantasies, anyway. The one that I'm willing to put in type & share with the world.

You see, sports is how this all came to be, anyway. It's now time I introduce you to two people, the first two of many you will learn to know & love in the comings days before I get bored with this site & stop posting.

The first man is a good buddy of mine, Matt Faz. Known him since I was 4, when during our first meeting he tried to run me over with a big wheels. I'm serious. You can't make that sort of thing up, he chased me down on his driveway. We've been best friends ever since. A few months ago he got his own website, www.mattfaz.com. It started out as a joke. But then he got an internship at a sports-radio station, and his site took off. It's not espn.com by any means, but it's still pretty cool, when he updates it. I figured, if he could do a blog about his sports ramblings once a week, so could I.

The second is this kid Weiss. Now, I won't lie, I don't actually know this kid. But I've been in too many fantasy leagues to count over the last 7 or 8 years with him, and thru the AIM (greatest invention ever?), we've become about as good of friends as two people who have never met can become. Anyway, a month or two ago he started his own website, www.coldasweiss.com, which is basically a sports blog. Or, it would be, if he would post more then once a month. But anyway, I got to thinking. If he could get 200 hits within the first 4 hours of his posting a blog, why couldn't I? I mean, he's your typical Philly fan, who thinks he knows everything about the world of sports, but really doesn't know anything about anything outside the city of Philadelphia. Add that to the fact that he can't write for shit, and he takes himself more seriously then the pope, and you've got what adds up to a disaster of a site that for some reason 200 people love.

Yea, I don't get it either, but it works. So I'm trying it. A few disclaimers, first. Weiss actually wants to be a sports-writer, I think. I don't know, I've never talked to him about it. But anyway, he's very serious in what he does. Actually writes out articles, edits them, all that stuff. He's hoping his website will open new doors for him. If you're looking for that at this site, you've come to the wrong place. I'm doing this because I have so much god damn sports (and entertainment) knowledge in my oversized head that I don't know what to do with it anymore. Add to that the amount of time I sit at this laptop not doing anything, and I figure this will give me something to do at night before I go to bed.

So don't expect a great article, or anything resembling an article. Don't expect editing. I'm just going to type what I feel, and then I'll click the bright orange "publish post" button, and everything will be done. I'll never re-read what I wrote, I'm just shooting the shit here.

So that's why I've got a website. Sports. Really, they're all I've got going for me. Work sucks, I hate the industry I'm in, but I have no skills in anything else, so I'm stuck there. Finding a girlfriend is harder then winning the "$5000 a week for life" scratch-off, at least in my case. And as much as I'd like to pretend I can, I can neither sing nor play any musical instrument, so my rock career isn't taking off. So I'm left with sports. Basically the only positive in my life.

So now, as I start yet another paragraph with the word "so", I'm going to bed. But now you know what the point of this disaster is. And maybe tomorrow, you'll be interested enough to check back to read about how great Eli Manning is, or how I just captured my 4th fantasy baseball championship in 5 years, or how the Devils are going to win the 2006 Stanley Cup.

Maybe.

No comments: